Advanced Coatings Industrial Paint Specialists
Unit 5a Enterprise Business Park, O'Brien Road, Carlow, Ireland | 059 9723807
Sign up to our Newsletter
Homepage
About Us
News and Information Centre
Products we Supply
Data Sheets
Product Users
Contact Us
Colour Chart

Waterbased Paint
VOCS
Paint Testing
Hot Hardness
High Performance Coatings
High Build Coatings
Electrostatics
Edge Protection

Some of the equipment manufacturers that Advanced Coatings supplies:



HomepageInformation CentreVOCS › Tips for Reducing VOCS

VOCS

VOCS are Volatile Organic Compounds, they can affect the environment and people's health. For this reason the aim is to keep them at a minimum.

For machinery manufacturers who paint their components there are many ways to reduce your VOCS.

Tip:
One of the quickest and easiest changes that you can make is to switch to ready for use coatings. These are coatings that do not require any additional thinning - so you are reducing your solvent usage. There are many ready for use paint products on the market now that are being used by large manchinery manufacturers. An example of this would be Beckers K5 primer. This is a ready for use high solids epoxy primer. Switching to this primer from your general use medium solids primer can give you up to a 50% reduction in your primer VOCS.

Tip:
Another thing to be aware of is the grams per litre of VOCS in the paint that you are using. Ideally for your topcoat you should be aiming to keep at (or below) 420grams of Volative Organic Compound per litre. Take into account that if your topcoat is not ready for use and you thin it with, for example 22% solvent, then you have increased from 420g/litre to 495g/litre. Tikkurila topcoats are known for low grams per litre of VOCS.

Tip:
High build coatings have more volume solids and less solvent in the can. Check your paint data sheet and see what volume solids is in your primer and topcoat. Some primers have as low as 40% solids. This means that thinners/solvent makes up the other 60% of the content of the primer. This will add heavily to a company’s emissions. In addition to this many primers will require further thinning and this will push up the solvent usage even higher. If you need to drive down your VOCS I would recommend high build primers. A good example of this is Beckers K5 two-pack epoxy primer - it has 84% solids by weight and is ready for use, i.e. no thinners needed.

If you want to further discuss any of the above, and/or receive advice on reducing your VOCS give me a call.

Kate Gaynor:  059 9723807





Advanced Coating Technology Ltd. Copyright 2017-2021 ©
Homepage | About Us | News and Information Centre | News | Faq | Products we supply | Data Sheets | Product Users | Contact Us
Testimonials | Links | Location | Colour Chart | Newsletter Sign Up | Site map | rolex replica uk | hublot replica | rolex replica sale | rolex replica uk | rolex replica